Friday, February 28, 2014

The Trail Left Behind

Hangzhou, China
A famous Chinese proverb says, "Reading ten thousand books is not as useful as traveling ten thousand miles."  In other words, one learns more by traveling than by sticking one's nose in a book. After teaching in Shanghai, China, for about six months now, I find this proverb to be true; however, it is only true if one actively takes the time to become immersed in the Chinese culture. It is easy for me, or any of my colleagues from America to go to work, teach, and come home to a nice apartment and fill our time with TV shows on Hulu or Netflix, Skyping with friends from home, or grocery shopping in the imported section. If I were to do these things all the time I wouldn't learn much more about China than if I had read a guidebook. To meekly observe isn't enough; one must live it. 

The Great Wall

Macau

That is not to say that in my time here I have not given in to pointing at things on menus or in stores instead of using my limited Chinese words, preferred the company of my English-speaking friends to new Chinese ones, or that I did not  feverishly eat all the Pop-tarts my boyfriend brought me when he visited. Still, I try to experience as many new things as I can. I can now add bullfrog, seaweed, chicken and sheep hearts, egg tarts, a full fish (including head and with a ton of bones), fried dumplings, Beijing duck (which is different from normal duck), eel, jujubes, red bean paste, moon cake, and probably some other things that I didn't even know I was eating, to my repertoire. Unlike any fictional character, I have actually hiked The Great Wall (yes, hiked), been to Hong Kong Disneyland, played mahjong, performed in front of Chinese teachers, interned at the largest English magazine in China, have gotten lost on so many occasions, and took pictures with tourists who have never seen a blonde-haired girl in real life. What's even better is that there are more adventures to come. Now that I have been to Bejing, Hangzhou, Hong Kong, and Macau, I have booked my flight to Tokyo, and will soon book my flight to Bangkok. 
My students in costumes at Halloween
Big Buddha, Hong Kong

Before coming to China, I was apprehensive about teaching. I thought I would be placed in front of a packed classroom of children without knowing what to say. Instead, I found that teaching came easy and that I had more than enough to impart to my students. I am now teaching an AP English Language and Composition class along with my second grade classes. My students are some of the sweetest, excited children I have ever seen. I was overjoyed when one of my second graders gave me a stocking with candy as a Christmas present, and then told me I was her favorite teacher she has. Sometimes you have to go to the places where you are needed the most.      

I have spent a lot of time reading, being an English major, but I would never substitute my adventures for the comfort of a book, regardless of my love of literature.   

Through these experiences, I would like to create my own proverb (if the masters would be so kind): "It is not the traveling that you do, but the trail left behind."  

Shanghai




No comments:

Post a Comment