Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Eggs are Popular in China, but not because of Easter

Easter isn't a holiday that is normally celebrated in China. Last week in class was the first time that many of my students had heard of Easter. 

This Christian holiday is even celebrated in America by non-religious families. Considering that China celebrates only the materialistic side of Christmas, I'm surprised that China does not celebrate Easter as well. They do, however, have a Spring Festival, but it does not focus on sales. According to infoplease.com (Pearson Education), Americans spend $2 billion annually on Easter candy. 

Putting money aside, kids love the Easter bunny and making Easter eggs. I got to teach my students all about the holiday last week, and even though we didn't have dye for the eggs, they loved drawing on them. These photos are not the best quality because I only had my old iPod, but I couldn't resist! From minions to pigs, these eggs are stylish!
























No comments:

Post a Comment